Thursday, October 21, 2004

In Memoriam-Steve Z. Miller, MD

Unfortunately, my original post was somehow deleted and is unrecoverable, so I will try to re-create it with some additions and/or deletions depending upon my memory.

As is now well known in the New York area, a colleague and early mentor of mine was killed in a commuter plane crash outside of St. Louis, Missouri on Oct. 19. He was on his way, with like minded individuals, to give a series of lectures for the Arnold P. Gold Foundation concerning humanism in medicine. It was one of his particular interests. He was a passionate advocate for that voice inside all of us that speaks to the intangible aspects of medical care. He believed that with work people could become more enlightened and that they could affect the lives of others in a positive way. I found out that he was only 5 years my senior. We are, in a sense, contemporaries, but he was well beyond me in stature. He was synonymous with our institution. Everyone knew Steve from the medical students on up to faculty in all parts of the hospital. His presence was everywhere. It is hard to imagine that he will not be walking the halls in the future, but he will be here for many years to come. Needless to say, the community of individuals who worked with Steve remains in a state of shock. We are a rather large, semi-dysfunctional family. He spent most of his adult life studying, teaching, and treating pediatric patients and their families in the same locale. I have chosen much the same path. It would be difficult to express my sadness to his wife and children, but hopefully, it is enough to let them know that I am thinking about them.

I have been thinking for a long time now about putting my thoughts down for discussion in the area of current affairs, both foreign and domestic. I am no expert, but there seems to me to be a dearth of voices in the medical community concerning the issues that affect our lives. Yes, we may make comments in the hallway or on our way to rounds, but careful discussion and analysis, in short, activism are rare. However, this is exactly why I went into medicine. I was inspired by doctors who had spent much of their careers caring for those in other countries with limited resources. They had to deal with politics and local custom as a matter of course, and they did this with relish. These early role models remind me very much of Steve. He was engaged, resilient, and he, too, had to deal with politics and local custom. So, it is with sadness but new found inspiration that I begin this journey no matter how shaky the start may be.

Thank you Steve.


I am attaching a link to the Gold Foundation so that you can see the work that they hope to accomplish - Arnold P. Gold Foundation

Also, don't hold back. Future writings will be my opinion. Let's here everyone's voice here.

No comments: